Monday 26 October 2009

Syvret claims asylum in UK

By Ben Quérée
Senator Syvret: ‘I am not going to be oppressed’

SENATOR Stuart Syvret is claiming ‘legal asylum’ at the House of Commons, saying that he has no chance of a fair trial in the Island.

In the latest twist in his prosecution, the Senator, whose arrest was ordered by the Magistrate’s Court on Friday after he failed to show up to a second court hearing in a week, is in London today.

He faces two Data Protection Law charges, as well as charges of driving without a licence and failing to notify the authorities of a change of address.

‘I am not going to be treated like an idiot by these people, and I am not going to be oppressed, and I am not going to take part in their charade of a Stalinistic show-trial running against me,’ said Senator Syvret.

‘I would happily come back to Jersey tomorrow if we did not have a manifestly corrupted, incompetent, ineffective and politicised judicial apparatus.’

Article posted on 26th October, 2009 - 3.00pm
Syvret claims asylum in UK