Wednesday 15 April 2009

Health Minister resigns

HEALTH Minister Jim Perchard has resigned.

The under-fire minister, who was facing a vote of no confidence, has written to the Bailiff to tender his resignation.

In a brief letter, copied to the media this morning, Senator Perchard said he was stepping down ‘with great sadness’ and apologised to the staff at the Health and Social Services Department.

Senator Perchard (pictured) has been in office since December, but has been under increasing pressure since a row with Senator Stuart Syvret in the States Chamber in which he apparently told him to ‘go and top himself’.

Article posted on 15th April, 2009 - 3.00pm

Source


Jersey's Health Minister has resigned.

Senator Jim Perchard sent a letter to the Bailiff this morning informing him of his decision.

In that letter, Senator Perchard apologised to the management team at the Health and Social Sevices Department, as well as its patients.

He said he recognises he failed to protect staff against what he called a "despicable and relentless onslaught of allegations made against them of murder, unlawful killing, child abuse, corruption, bullying and cover-up."

He also said he believes the Health department has suffered from political neglect for many years and will now be under the control of a fourth minister in 18 months.

The call for Senator Perchard's resignation was made after the Minister allegedly told Senator Stuart Syvret to "go and top himself."

Senator Perchard's letter to Health and Social Services in full ....

Dear Colleague

This morning I submitted my resignation as Minister for Health and Social Services to Senator Le Sueur, Chief Minister. I did this with profound regret – but following a period of personal reflection.

You will appreciate the fact that some weeks ago now, I made a number of statements to another elected representative which I have regretted and which I believe fell below the standard of behaviour which a person with my political standing should display at all times. I described my statements in the Assembly at the time as being ‘un-Statesman like’.

It is my judgement that I must stand down from such an honoured role, given my indiscretion, but would wish you to know how much I have come to know and to respect all that is done in the Health and Social Services Department for our Island. Both in my capacity as Assistant Minister and latterly in my capacity as Minister, I have made it my business to know and come to understand – as much as a lay person can – the technical and professional mastery which you bring every day to your work. I am also mindful that everyone in the Department must pull together if the job is to be done and that the value of managers, hotel services personnel, technicians and countless other indispensable people is of equal worth to the wonderful achievements of all of our health and social care front line professionals.

Health and Social Services is a complex affair which contains many major ethical dilemmas, many potential conflicting policy aims and intentions, many funding pressures and increasing expectations from the users of our services. Not surprisingly, this attracts legitimate political and media interest. We are all mature enough to know that all health and social care systems are subjected to such intense interest and scrutiny – and I welcome this here in Jersey. However, it is a source of considerable regret to me that recklessness, immaturity, and spiteful destructiveness have a political voice here in Jersey. This really is most unacceptable and is what separates out legitimate political interest in other jurisdictions from what is the case here in Jersey.

It remains for me to thank you for working both to me and alongside me. It has been a journey which I have enjoyed immensely. I would like also to thank Deputy Judy Martin and Constable Deidre Mezbourian, who as my Assistant Ministers have given me the benefit of their political and commonsensical advice which has guided my hand since their appointment.


I do not know what, politically, the future holds for me, but I wish you all the best for your own personal futures.


Yours sincerely
Senator Jim Perchard
Minister

Source