Tuesday 19 January 2010

Syvret: ‘I expect to be expelled from the States’

By Andy Sibcy

SENATOR Stuart Syvret has confirmed that he is not returning to Jersey to take his seat in the States, as fellow Members return today after the Christmas break.

Speaking yesterday from London, where he is staying in self-imposed exile with Liberal Democrat MP John Hemming, he said he would not come back because he had been ‘constructively excluded’ from the Island by the ‘manifestly corrupt’ legal system.

Senator Syvret also confirmed that he was not ill, adding that he was prepared to forfeit his seat in the States as a result of his prolonged absence.

The Senator has not been to a States sitting since October. Under parliamentary rules he faces losing his seat if he does not attend for six months.

He said: ‘If I end up being expelled from the States – and that could happen, yes, and indeed that is probably what will happen – am I prepared for that? Yes, I am. I don’t want it to happen, but it might.’

Article posted on 19th January, 2010 - 2.56pm
Syvret: ‘I expect to be expelled from the States’