Tuesday 20 January 2009

Jail for man who raped daughters

One of the daughters on beach
The court heard the man had abused his daughters over almost two decades

A man who fathered two children with his daughter during years of sexual abuse against his family has been sentenced to 14 years in jail.

The 72-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the identity of his victims, abused three daughters in Dundee and Fife between 1976 and 1993.

He started raping the eldest girl when she was 12 years old.

Now 42, the daughter had a baby girl by her father when she was 17 and gave birth to a son six years later.

The father started raping a younger daughter when she was eight years old. The abuse lasted until she was 16.

He was convicted last month of repeatedly raping two daughters and using lewd and libidinous behaviour towards a third.

'I was blackmailed'

During sentencing at the High Court in Kilmarnock, judge Lady Dorrian told the man that his daughters had "suffered in silence". She said they had all been vulnerable and had attended special schools.

The accused showed no emotion as he left the court and did not look at his daughters who sat in the public gallery.

The older woman, who now lives in Aberdeenshire, went to the police after telling the truth to her son during an argument.

She had been too afraid to speak out before because her father had threatened to shoot her.

In an interview with BBC Scotland, the woman - known as Miss D - said: "I was blackmailed by him, saying that I would go to a home, my wee baby brother would go into care and my others sisters would go into care as well.

"And when I had my own children that they would be taken into care as well, so I just left it.

"I was so frightened I'd lose my daughter."

Source