Tuesday 1 February 2011

Housing Minister resigns


The Housing Minister has resigned after seven months in the job after being discovered to have leaked private emails.

Deputy Sean Power was advised by the Chief Minister to resign or face a vote of no confidence.

Deputy Power admitted in a statement that he was found to have breached data protection laws after passing on emails that belonged to another Deputy.

In his statement he said: "At a meeting today, the Council of Ministers has expressed a view that I should resign as Housing Minister and I now do so".

He went on to explain that he had found printed-out emails in the States Building on 5th August 2010 between the Deputy of Grouville, Carolyn Labey, and Deputy Judy Martin.

These emails also included correspondence between the Deputy of Grouville and former Senator Stuart Syvret.

Deputy Power admitted in his statement that he scanned these emails and said it was in order to seek advice on what to do.

These emails were later found on internet sites.

He said: "I scanned the document and emailed it to myself. I put the email in my bag. My feelings in those minutes were at best, confused."

Deputy Power said he took the email back to his office and posted it to the Data Protection Commissioner.

He said he also scanned the emails and then emailed the document on to one person to ask them for their advice.

It was this move, he said, that caused him to - unintentionally, he claims - breach the Data Protection Code.

He said: "My mistake was this act of scanning and forwarding to a third party".

Deputy Power defended his actions and said of the emails: "The contents were, in my opinion, salacious and I did want the Data Protection Commissioner to see it".

Deputy Power said he will continue his duties as Deputy of St Brelade.

He was only recently appointed Housing Minister in June.

In a statement Deputy Labey said:

"Deputy Sean Power has made the right decision. His actions were inappropriate for a Minister and a States Member.

"As well as breaching the Data Protection 2005 Law, they also breached the Ministerial Code of Conduct and indeed the States Members Code of Conduct."

"I do not agree or concur with his recollection of events outlined in his Press Release.

"However neither do I wish to be drawn any further on this matter as I believe all families are entitled to their privacy."

Speaking live on Channel Report Deputy Power wasn't willing to apologise to Deputy Labey for his actions.

Housing Minister resigns